Today’s serving from the Directory of the Ancestral Heads of New England Families 1620-1700 looks at the HAYNES family. Discovered at the Carnegie Public Library in Pittsburgh, it was compiled by Frank R. Holmes (Genealogical Publishing Company, Baltimore) apparently published in 1923 and then reprinted in 1989. Page after page is filled with alphabetical entries of last names and then, if known, the origin of that name, and the earliest American people in New England with that name.
page, FAMILY HEADING
name origin (any foreign words are italicized)
earliest family members with that name
p. cxiii (113), HAYNES, HAINES
Derived from the Saxon word ainulpp and that from ana, alone, ulpp, help, that is, one that needs not the assistance of others. Haine, a river in Belgium. Haine, French, malicious, full of hatred; hain, German, a wood, forest, thicket, grove.
CHARLES, resident of New London, Conn., 1664.
EDMUND, was at Springfield, Mass., 1645; no male issue. .
JAMES, freeman Salem, Mass., 1637.
JOHN, b. Copford Hall, County of Essex, Eng., 1594, came to N.E., with Rev. Thomas Hooker; freeman at Cambridge, Mass., 1634, removed to Hartford, Conn., 1637; first governor of Colony of Conn.
MARK, resident of Boston, Mass., 1665.
RICHARD at Beverly, Mass., 1671.
SAMUEL, b. Eng., 1611, came from Bristol, Eng., to N.E., 1635, settled at Pemaquid, now Bristol, Maine, removed to Dover, N.H., 1640, and to Portsmouth, N.H., 1646.
THOMAS in Maine, 1658-65, removed to Amesbury, Mass., married 1667.